Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lions, Tigers, and Orange ROPES oh my!

Well, yesterday we headed to our zoo.
It wasn't a normal trip.
Emaline was good.
I had to park in a different parking lot.
Parker walked most of the way instead of riding on the stroller.
Millions of kids (and their parents) had infested my zoo ( a term I learned from Jodi M.).
Buses were everywhere.

It was time to leave, a little later in the day than usual due to extra play time in the sand pit, and lots of train time. As we strolled out to the car I almost ran into an orange rope that had been put up to direct children to the side walk...I am assuming. It has never been there before. I never use the sidewalk because my car is usually to the right of the sidewalk and very close to the front since we usually get there when the zoo opens (and should have been yesterday~note to self, don't take 35W south the Monday after Race Weekend), but with the kagillion field trip buses we were moved out to TIMBUCKTU! Back to the story. So we were strolling to the car, when we turned around and notice that the boys were behind us playing in the ropes for admission. Angie M. hollered for the boys to come on, and Parker did. As you are probably already seeing this play out in your head...Parker was running full speed and ran right into the orange rope strung between cement pillars which clotheslined him on the neck and slingshotted him backwards onto his head. Yes. ONE of the most frightening moments of my life. I kind of froze for a minute. Then ran like crazy to my son. I held him in my arms on the ground...as I was scared to look. I was scared to look at his neck, and I was scared to look at his head. I told myself I needed to look to see if he was okay. I was able to get him to show me his neck...and it could have been much worse. No blood, which was good for me. I think I would have passed out. He only came away with a rope burn about 3 inches on the side of his neck and a golfball kind of sticks out of his head. Zoo security came to the rescue...which seems like 15 minutes later, but Angie said it was more like 4 minutes. I guess I was freaking out a little when strange women came to help us before anyone from the zoo did. My guy has only told me his head hurt one time since the incident. Tough guy. We are keeping his neck medicated, but you KNOW that has to hurt, right where your collar can rub. So, that was our zoo trip. Just an ordinary zoo trip!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You poor thing. How scary. I made the same mistake last year right after I had Cooper. I thought I'd get out of the house and give Hudson something to look forward to (since he just had a new brother and his world was upside down) and when we got there it was so packed because this time of the year is when all the schools take their field trips to the zoo. We parked so far away and it was so crazy crowded. We didn't even enjoy ourselves. So, I've made a mental note to not attempt this by myself. Hope Parker is okay!!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

My head hurts for Parker-if it was like I have envisioned he went down hard. ParkerMan is tough!

That crazy zoo with all the stinking kids from the zoo...by the way, my boss was there with his son's school yesterday.

Margaret K said...

That is a horrific picture I have in my mind. I think I would have called an ambulance. I have often shined a flashlight in Patrick's eyes after he has hit his head and he has never even had a knot. I am glad Parker is ok. BTW, Patrick's school was at the zoo today. Must be the week for it.

jenny biz said...

Sounds like you handled it like a pro. I always tend to go nutso in those situations! SOOOO glad Parker is okay! There were defintely some angels around him.

Beck Boys said...

Poor kid, Hope the burn heals quickly. I'm not sure what I would have done. I am glad that everyone is okay.

Amy C said...

Glad you guys are all right. We are heading to the zoo tomorrow for a field trip with Blake. I hope it isn't miserable. With zoo passes, I am tempted to just convince him to skip. Bad mom!

Kelly said...

That sounds horrible! Poorl little guy. Glad he's OK.