Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It worked

Yes, it worked. Parker has been getting up at...6:15 or earlier for a few weeks now. Emaline sleeps until 9:15 or even 10:15! I have been exhausted because that throws off all nap schedules...meaning they won't go down at the same time.

Last night a voice in my head reminded me about an idea a friend used with her daughter who struggled with early rising a few years ago, I tried it and it WORKED!

I put a clock in Parker's room (set about 15 minutes behind) and then had a little talk with him. I told him that he could not knock knock on his door (we child lock him in his room) until there was a seven in the first spot on the clock. We even practiced last night.

This morning I was awaken to the sound of "Mommy Mommy come here" I glanced over at my clock and it read 7: 20, so I walked into Parker's room where he was jumping up and down pointing at his clock saying I SEE A SEVEN!!! It read 7:06! I think tonight I will make it an hour behind...do you think it will work?

7 comments:

1literatimommy said...

YEAH!!! What a great idea. Parker is v. clever. And, setting it an hour behind, not a bad idea.

Margaret K said...

I have three words for you...room darkening shade. Our kids rooms are dark as caves and they always sleep late.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

That is a great idea-I am filing it away for when we have kids. Set the clock back...get you some extra sleep! He will NEVER know!

Pearson Family said...

Great idea Margaret!! Yes, Susan, start keeping these ideas!

Amy C said...

I too believe in blackout shades! Cute Christmas pics. Love the jackets.

Wade said...

Ha!

Be careful though! Payback for tricking your child may come back in the form of Parker habitually running late to everything when he gets older!

I'd probably still take the extra hour of sleep now and adjust his clock one hour ahead when he starts running late!

Laura Scott said...

I wish I had known about this trick when my kids were younger!!! I guess I just always assumed I had to get up when they did. Of course I'm a night owl so anything before 8:30 would be too early for me. I would have to tell my kids when they see the 9:00 they could come wake me up! Ha!