Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WOuld you like a cold one?

Our house sits on a corner, of a slightly busy street. A few years ago, I sat on my couch feeding a bottle to someone and watching TV when I heard a peculiar sound coming from behind me. It sounded as if someone had turned on my water from outside. You know that sound like running water coming from the wall where the outside faucet is located. I had to go investigate. With child in arm, I walked out my front door and crossed my front lawn to meet our meter reader helping himself to some water from my faucet. I just looked at him. He looked at me. He said, "I didn't know anyone was home." SHOULD IT MATTER! I told him, in my surprised voice, "What you are doing is wrong, you are stealing my water." He proceeded to tell me it was a hot day and he was thirsty. I just walked away and asked him to stop. I sat down on my couch and called my husband to VENT that this man was STEALING my water! Stacey calmed me down and I really can't remember what all we discussed other than he thought I was crazy trying to meet the person stealing my water. Since that time, that stranger has been in my mind off and on. How could I have handled it differently? Did he misread our meter to get even!? Present day. We arrive home from a busy morning and I begin to fix lunch, when I HEAR the same noise. Kids sitting at kitchen table, I open the front door, walk across the lawn, to meet a man who goes door to door hanging those advertising things for a job. He was surprised to see me, and honestly, I was a little intimidated as well. He was filling up his water bottle. I looked at him and said this: Would you like a cold one? He looked at me with huge eyes and said, "Yes Ma'am." I asked him to wait, (while I shut and locked our front door) went into the garage and brought him 2 water bottles. He was waiting for me, at a comfortable distance from my front door, which I noticed. He thanked me. I didn't get on to him. I didn't accuse him of stealing. I haven't called Stacey, yet. I take this as change. A lesson from God. He gave me a second chance, like he does over and over, this one, I wanted to share with you. I was able to go back to the kitchen table and discuss it with Parker and Emaline. I hope that the stranger, who has a long day ahead of him in the wind, will remember the kindness, and pass it on.

NOW! Onto a FUNNY story. These things were said from my Parker's mouth just hours ago!

EMALINE! I am disappointing with you!

MOMMY! GO put her in her room!

MOMMY! I am disapointing with her.

(here parker goes and tries to spank her)

I AM DISAPPOINTING WITH YOU EMALINE!


I had to discuss with Parker that he NEVER spanks his sister! But it was funny! Emaline was trying to steal a piece of ART Parker had made. NOW, my escapee is doing just that from her room! I must go stop this! Pictures later!

8 comments:

The Benson Bunch said...

HOW funny...I just blogged for the first time in like 2-3 months and I hit, "Publish post" and you had JUST commented on my old post!

I am going to catch up my blog and catch up on everyone else's (including yours!!!) soon. :)

Are you disapointing in me? hehe That was cute of Parker!

Amy C said...

That is a great story. I always think that Jesus would put up a sign on his hose that said, "here have a cool drink, its on Jesus!"

Margaret K said...

Better than the homeless woman taking a bath on the side of our house in Boston. I stayed inside for that one. I probably should have tried to help her. You are setting a great example for your children.

Cute Parker!

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Isn't it always obvious after the fact...what we should have done! You rock for learning from your experience, I am still in the phase of 'Does it matter?'.

I love to hear Braxton say things that are totally off the wall while trying to make sense. Isn't life precious!

I don't know what is going on with my blog. I was pretty sure you left a comment, but I have no idea how to remove them...not sure what is going on...

jenny biz said...

You made me think of a song, "God is a God of second chances." Song From Veggie Tales, Jonah. Parker is such an awesome big brother! Such a cutie-patootie!

Beck Boys said...

Love the story - i love God teaches us lessons and gives us second chances to do things better.
Too sweet about Parker. Braxton is in that stage of wanting to spank Brazos as well. I need to write about it soon.
Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Awesome! It sure is great that God gives us second chances!!! We all need them...

1literatimommy said...

Great lesson, paige. i think you handled it very well.