Friday, December 28, 2007

A FABULOUS DAY!

Today, a group of us went to the airport to welcome home soldiers back from Iraq! We went yesterday to buy posterboard and flags. We have been discussing why we were going for a couple of days. I know Parker doesn't completely understand, but last night why he was painting his sign he asked me if the soldiers kill people. That got a little deep, but I think I recovered nicely. I am not sure how much he got out of it today, but it meant a lot to me, and hopefully the soldiers we were there to see! By the way, he told me exactly what his sign should say. RR was behind Emaline's sign, I ended up ripping into so that RR and Emaline could both hold a piece.
The group we went with was with our church. We collected money for phone cards and water bottles to hand out.


I love this picture. I know it has Parker's head right in the middle of it, but just look at that soldier's smile! I think she was happy to see us.

Emaline showing Emily Q her sign.

Emaline clapping for the soldiers. She loved the music the airport played as the soldiers walked through. She danced and jumped and waved her flag!
Another picture I love! Emaline is trying her best to get that soldiers attention. I like the movement of the flag and how she is leaning forward.
This was sweet. RR wanted to have her picture made with a girl soldier. And there were some, but we had to track one down. The soldier was so sweet, even picking her up for the picture.Proof Emaline painted her sign!

Today, my eyes teared up watching the many soldiers come through. Seeing family members with signs that read, welcome home dad! Mom's with anticipation to see their loved one. Veteran's who shook every soldier's hand and time the soldiers took to shake it back. The soldiers who felt like they were royalty and came through with tears in their eyes giving high fives or the soldiers who looked lost, looking for possible loved ones who may have been in the crowd. I know this wasn't eliquently written, and I am sorry. Just know if you have some time, please go! You will get more than you think you will.

4 comments:

Amy C said...

Such a sweet memory. I am so glad you got to go. I wish everyone would. To see the faces of the men and women who are sacrificing for you and me is such a precious and beautiful blessing.

Felicia said...

I agree it was a fabulous start to our day! I never thought that I would get emotional seeing them walk through, but I couldn't hold it back. I can't imagine being a part of the "family" crowd that was at the beginning of the line. I hate that I didn't bring my camera. If you got any with Camille, please email send them my way! Thanks!

Kylie said...

that is such a great idea! how do you find out when to be there? i'd love to do that. you know you made those soldiers day.....what a merry Christmas!

Karl, Andrea, Kaden and Leland said...

Thank you for doing you part and showing us what we need to do to show our support. You brought tears to my eyes!

Thanks!